Mold is a fungus that often grows in homes, particularly in warm and damp environments. Bathrooms, kitchens, basements, attics, and other spaces that are prone to moisture can quickly see the spread of mold. This can be a big problem for the occupants. It not only looks unsightly but it also poses a threat to health. This should be taken seriously as neglect can lead to a poor quality of life for sensitive individuals. Some might even have life-threatening episodes because of existing conditions. Be sure to go to a mold exposure treatment center if you or your loved ones experience the following:

Allergic Reaction

The most common issue with mold is the allergic reaction that certain individuals have when exposed to it. Some will exhibit symptoms even with a small amount of exposure. Others will have a greater tolerance but will ultimately succumb to its presence. Among the symptoms of this type of allergy are rashes, runny nose, coughs, wheezing, watery eyes, and red eyes. One instance can already lead to a reduction in productivity and a general feeling of lethargy. Constant exposure will be even more problematic with the allergic reactions making every day a struggle.

Asthma Attack

Those who have existing conditions such as asthma will need to be more vigilant than the average person when it comes to checking for mold. Exposure to the spores can trigger an asthma attack which can range from extreme discomfort to death. If these attacks are happening frequently within the home and there are no other explanations, then mold should be included in the list of possible causes for investigation. Depending on different factors, this might be worse than a person’s usual symptoms. Getting out of the unhealthy environment may provide some relief but the mold should be cleaned by a professional for best results. The same thing can happen with people who have bronchitis and other respiratory conditions.

Serious Exposure

You don’t need to have an allergy or asthma to be wary of mold. Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of spores can still lead to issues such as clogged airways, skin rashes, and eye irritation. This is a particular concern with the so-called black mold as it produces mycotoxins that produce these types of reactions. These are usually minor and fade away quickly. However, some unfortunate individuals could also suffer worse problems like breathing difficulties, high fever, and lung infections. This will require focused attention by specialists. Going to a mold exposure treatment center should be considered.

Prevention Strategies

Prevention will always be better than cure for any type of ailment. As for mold exposure, homeowners should ensure that their premises have no traces of this dangerous fungus. The environment should be made inhospitable by making it as dry as is tolerable. Bathrooms should have adequate ventilation for air drying. The windows and doors should be kept open when not in use. An exhaust fan may also be installed to help this along. Basements should have good insulation and waterproofing. Roof leaks should be fixed as soon as possible.